Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:48:13 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setuid on nethack?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 10:29:36AM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> After seeing that the owner and group were games, I set the permissions back to
> 2511, which I assume is safe.
>
> Do I need to take special precautions if I play this game from root?  Would 6511
> be a better choice in that case?

No, no special precautions should be necessary.  AFAIK, nethack does
not read any executable code from its data files, so any trojan would
have to be placed in the nethack executable itself.  I personally have
never heard of somebody trojaning the nethack game so far :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have just finished reading.