Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:45:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Coder Arkade <xamatrox@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting Hardrive

Coder Arkade wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi!

> I have installed FreeBSD 4.3 and im happy with my choise BUT i have
> one problem. my other hardrive (Secondary Master on IDE) has not been
> mounted, and i have no clue how i am going to findout what the
> hardrive is called in the /dev directory if you guys could help me
> with that i would be a very happy computer-geek
>
> (could be good to know : i use the command "mount -d /dev/whatever
> /mnt/whatever" and if thats not the way to do it, please tell me how i
> should do)

You probably don't want to use -d, as that does everything except mount
the drive ;-) (In other words, the -d flag is used for testing purposes).

To mount a UFS/FFS partition on an ATA/EIDE HDD, something like
	/sbin/mount /dev/ad0s1a
is typical, provided the disk has already been partitioned and labelled.
If not, you are probably best off to run /stand/sysinstall to have it step
you through the process if you are new to the UNIX filesystem.

What you will need to know is the unit, partition and slice of the
filesystem you wish to mount. In FreeBSD 4.3, look in /dev for files named
ad?s??. The filesystems on the disk you want may be something like
ad0s2[a,c,d,..]. Sysinstall can help you with this, too--make a note of
which device it refers to. Once you have verified that the filesystem will
mount, you will likely want to add an entry to the filesystem table,
/etc/fstab so that the filesystem mounts on boot.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

> /Thanks Arkade

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon