Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:23:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rfg@monkeys.com
Subject:   Re: tmpfs .. ?

>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:13:50 -0800 (PST)
>From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>

>    The actual problem is sendmail's constant *rescanning* of the directory.

To the extent that the directory is populated, yes.  (Scanning an empty
directory isn't an overwhelmingly resource-intensive operation.)

>    So you don't really need to hack sendmail to fix it though it would be
>    nice if sendmail built the feature in.  What you want to do is move the
>    queue file to a queue directory based on the number of retries that have
>    occured on the queue file.  You then run fewer sendmail -q's on the
>    directories representing higher retry counts and more sendmail's on the
>    directories representing lower retry counts.

Actually, for a certain class of intended recipients, some of my
colleagues & I have been working on (and support, in a production
environment) some changes to sendmail to have sendmail (create and) use
domain-specific queue directories.

The class of recipients is that set that is intended to retrieve mail
via the SMTP "ETRN" command.

I submit that having sendmail use the separate queue directories in this
fashion is rather more beneficial than post-processing the queue.  :-)

For those in the SF Bay area, I'll be giving a "short but cool" talk at
the December (16th) BayLISA meeting about what we did.

We were too late to get the code included in sendmail 8.10, but we
expect it will be contributed back to sendmail.org in time to be part of
8.11.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915