Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:56:50 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Multiple NameD instances ?

Hi all.

The named man page does not make any reference to this possibility (as far
as I can see).

I am running a FreeBSD gateway/firewall, and I also run named on the same
box.  Since I have entries for all my internal hosts, as well as for hosts
in the DMZ (on public IPs), it is now possible for people on the outside to
do like so:

# nslookup patrick.mydomain.com
Server:  dns.mydomain.com
Address:  x.x.x.42

Name:    patrick.mydomain.com
Address:  10.3.13.181

OK, so I disabled it again because I don't think it's a good idea to publish
private IP addresses on Public DNS since they are not routable on the public
network.  For the moment I run two different DNS servers, one with the
public info only (the gateway box) and the other inside my LAN with the
public AND private info.  But, I need to keep them synchronised by hand.

So, the question(s):

Is there a way to run two instances of named on one box, with one instance
answering any requests that enter on the public interface, and the other
instance answering the private interface?

Or, can one instance be configured to answer both, but making private
information available internally only, but public information available
either way?

Thanks in advance.
Patrick.