Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 20:21:18 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Shane Hagan" <shane_64@hotmail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: I did it!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Shane Hagan
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2000 5:15 PM
To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: I did it!

>I finally got bsd to load.
Congratulations.

>I decided to buy the 4.0 power pack and install
>it on a box that has a Cyrix 133, 300mb of ram, Lynksys NIC, and
Seagate 2
>gig hard drive.  I also installed X windows I wanted to see what it
looked
>like in comparison to windows.  Right now I only have the default X
window
>up right now.
Ugh. Twm (default window manager)is so nasty to look at. It's that
shade of green that you'd find in a baby's diaper after the little
bugger ate too many plutonium pellets, or maybe even Flintstone
chewable vitamins. You'll find that just about any other windowmanager
is more appealing to the eye, and more user-friendly.

>I am going to dig into the ports and find something more
>suitable for my tastes.
Aahhh! New to FreeeBSD and already finding the power of the ports.
There's hope for you still, grasshoppa.

>Anyways enough of the small talk lets get down to
>what I am writing for.  I am looking for books or any other papers on
unix
>commands and any other tips for free BSD.
There's more documentation than you can shake a stick at... all of it
online. Check out some of the following:
	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/
	http://www.defcon1.org/
	http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
	http://daily.daemonnews.org/
	Be sure to check the links at each of the above sites for other
sites. There's too many to list 	here. And being on the list, I'm sure
Greg Lehey would like to his book mentioned, as it is a good
reference, and in paperback too! Check out "The Complete FreeBSD" (3rd
Edition). You can get it at 	http://www.freebsdmall.com/books/

>I am planning on get a new box
>and installing free bsd on it.  Can I network my Windows machines
through
>free BSD?
Yes. For example, I've got my Win2k and Solaris machines behind a
FreeBSD gateway, since my ISP only provides me with one IP address.

>One more question before I go is am I better of running X windows
>or just running from a shell or prompt (I am not sure of the
terminology)?
It depends on your usage for the machine. A 133MHz processor is no
speed demon, but the 300MB RAM will help make up for it: Less
swapping! The command line is fine for some, but some folks prefer a
desktop look. You decide. After all, you'll be the one using it. If
you go with a desktop over a command line interface, install several
window managers. Choose which one you like best.

>When I installed I used the auto configuration for the formatting of
the
>hard drives.  In which situations do I need to do this manually?
Again, it depends on your usage. Being new to FreeBSD, play around
with it. If you find that it doesn't suit your needs, maybe state what
your needs are, and ask for recommendations here. Reinstalling isn't
that bad. It's actually helpful to make you more comfortable with the
system. Do it enough and maybe we'll find you sponsoring installfests
with your local BSD users' group! =]
-Otter