Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:32:49 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Armada 7800 Sound Config

  Running a Compaq Armada 7800 here and I'm trying to figure out the magical
mix of settings to put into my kernel config for sound.  I haven't had any
luck with my playing with it to date, so I thought I'd toss what all I know
of it here and see if anyone might have a workable device line for me.

From the BIOS config:
 ESS Control Interface
 - Input/Output range 0x0250 - 0x0257

 ESS 1879 Plug and Play AudioDrive
 - Interrupt request number 5
 - DMA Channel 1
 - DMA Channel 0
 - Input/Output range 0x0220 - 0x022F
 - Input/Output range 0x0388 - 0x038B
 - Input/Output range 0x0330 - 0x0331

Some info from a Compaq white paper on install Linux on this box.  I realize
that the bulk of this stuff doesn't really apply to FreeBSD directly, but I
was hoping that this info might help someone to translate this into what all
I need to do.
Sound Configuration:
 1. Write down what the audio resources are from Computer Setup
 2. Boot Linux and log in as root
 3. If you did not install the OSS package from Series pay1 then do so
    now with yast
 4. cd to /tmp/ossLinux-3.7.1z the directory name will be different if
    you installed a different OSS version
 5. Read the INSTALL file!!!!
 6. Execute ./ossLinux.runme the ./ is required
 7. It give a choice of four different location to uncompress the files
    to. Pick one.
 8. It will then prompt to autodetect. Choose Autodetect
 9. It should find Generic ESS ES1688. OSS does come with an ESS1879
    driver but this is only for ISA PnP cards, not embedded versions of
    the 1879.
10. Next, choose manual configuration
11. Use your Computer Setup information to choose the card settings.
    For example, the BIOS defaults are I/O=0x220, IRQ5, DMA1, MPU=0x330. The
    ESS1879 uses two DMA channels, you want to use DMA1, or whatever the 2nd
    DMA channel is set to.
12. Select Save and Exit.
13. cd to /opt/oss
14. Execute ./soundon
15. If you installed the sample wav files test the driver by using the oss
    play utility, i.e. play /usr/share/sounds/wav/zuluchnt.wav
16. Execute aumix and adjust the volumes with the arrow keys, make sure the
    mic is very low.
17. Execute ./savemixer mixer.map The current mixer settings will be
    saved and used when the driver loads.

  One of my attempts at this was the following line...

device    pcm0 at isa? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0

  And as you might imagine, this doesn't work.  Lastly, I'm not seeing this
device showing up in dmesg at all.  Not sure where to take this from here,
and hoping someone here might.  From my looking around it seems that this
question has been asked before, though no real resolution was posted.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=203802+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-mobile/20000806.freebsd-mobile

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."