Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:29:39 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@rknebel.csrlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kde

Rick Knebel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know how many people are using kde in freebsd 3.0 , but when I try to
> use the cd player for kde it keeps dumping core.
> I have a scsi cdrom and it works fine with xcdplayer?
>
> Any suggestions?

The problem is that kscd (the KDE cd player) uses /dev/rmatcd0c
(matsushita ??) as the default device. If it doesn't exist kscd core
dumps.

You can change the cd device in ~/.kde/share/config/kscdrc, however it's
a catch 22. kscdrc is empty until you run kscd for the first time, and
you can't run kscd until you've got the right device.....

The line you need to add is:

CDDevice=/dev/cd0c

or the appropriate device for your cd. Or you could remove /dev/rmatcd0c
and make it a symlink to the correct device.

There is also a bug in the cddb feature (which allows kscd to
automatically d/l a track list for the cd you're playing). I found the
following fix for this:

"Check out the patches in the bug list area.  I've posted a couple of
patches in the descriptions to the source to fix the problems I was
having.  The first one changes a string in cddb.cpp (around line 276 and
another around line 519) from Kscd to kscd (change in capitalization).
For some reason, the CDDB servers do not like the string with a capital
letter."

Since I didn't have the source installed I hacked the binary with vi
looking for all instance of ``Kscd'' and changing to ``kscd'' if the
occurrence appeared to be related to cddb (as opposed to dialogue/help
messages).

HTH.

> Thanks
> Rick
>
> --
> Rick Knebel
> rknebel@rknebel.csrlink.net

   When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.uk.radan.com