Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:44:49 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppc and ppbus break ctrl-alt-del and reboot?

Colin Eric Johnson wrote:

> I've just in the last couple of days starting playing with the ppc and
> ppbus controllers in the 3.1-STABLE kernel. While they do seem to be able
> to sense the parallel port in my machine something else, very strange, has
> occured. When I attempt to reboot my machine either with ctrl-alt-del or
> the reboot command all goes well until the actuall reboot of the machine
> occurs, at which point the entire machine locks up. The file system syncs
> all seem to happen correctly and the machine is properly halted but will
> not reboot and nothing short of a complete removal of power will shut the
> machine off and allow me to restart. I'm doing this on a Dell Lattitude
> CPi so pulling the power means unplugging it and removing the battery (the
> power switch won't respond).

Do you have the same problem when doing a "shutdown -h" (or halt)
instead of a reboot? A colleague of mine has an IBM Thinkpad which
locks when halting/rebooting. However, I think that this also happened
when he was running 2.2.8 on his laptop.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@es.FreeBSD.ORG
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139