Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 09:19:36 -0400
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        terryl@cs.stanford.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace and delete problem in X/Netscape

    >> But...  I'm using the us.iso.kbd keymap so that the backspace
    >> key is really delete.  As I'm sure most of you know, this get's
    >> emacs working right, but netscape is now screwed up.

    Justin> Sure, don't use del as your backspace character.  Just do
    Justin> something like this in your .emacs:

    Justin> ;; key bindings
    Justin> (global-set-key "\C-h" 'backward-delete-char)
    Justin> (setq search-delete-char (string-to-char "\C-h"))
    Justin> (global-set-key "\C-_" 'help-command)
    Justin> (setq help-char (string-to-char "\C-_"))

This works for the casual Emacs user, but not for the diehard:

What about ange-ftp and comint that directly compare a key value with
delete and backspace, or bookmark-mode's meaning of delete, or
buffer-menu-mode's, or c-mode's augmentation of delete, or cc-mode's,
or command-history-mode's, or dired, or the keyboard macro editor, or
gnus' and rmail's and info's interpretation of delete as scroll-down,
or ...

It's a pain in the butt to fix them all.  It's easier to just swap the
two keys.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

I wonder if angels believe in ghosts.  -- Jack Handey