Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:42:55 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        jcouch@netdoor.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel configuration

No, really. Please fix your system time/date/timezone.
Also, doing a "reply to all" will respond to the mailing list as well,
which allows others to help you if I don't know the answer, or am not
available.

Jim couch wrote:

> On Friday 22 June 2001 03:12 pm, you wrote:
> > [please fix the date/time/timezone on your system]
> >
> > Jim couch wrote:
> > > If I have built a "custom kernel" and it will not boot (even though it
> > > compiled without errors.... says that processor class is not configured)
> > > after I have "fixed the error" (I think) what is the command to compile
> > > it all over again? Is it "make clean" ?
> >
> > If you haven't upgraded the sources, you can probably just repeat the
> > buildkernel/installkernel process with no problems.
>
> That's what I tried and it didn't seem to make a difference. Either I didn't
> fix it or another command is required.....

Are you having problems with the "cpu IX86_CPU" line? If so, boot the
GENERIC kernel and check the dmesg output to see what cpu is detected.
If you're still in doubt for some reason, you can leave multiple "cpu"
lines in the kernel config.
Check the date/time on the /kernel file to make sure it really did
install a newly built one.
If you still feel that it's not building based on the new config file,
do the following (as root):
cd /usr/obj
chflags -R noschg *
rm -r *
This blows away anything that was done with "make buildkernel". You can
then redo the make with confidence that there's nothing old lying
around.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?