Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 11:02:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shan-Min Chao <shanmin@lvdi.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM Help

On Sun, 17 May 1998 at  5:10:52 -0700, Shan-Min Chao wrote:

> Hi everybody,

>    I have a question concerning setting up a CD-ROM for FreeBSD
> 2.2.2.  I recently had my Sony CD-ROM replaced with a NEC 28B 32X
> CD-ROM.  Unfortunately, the device does not seem compatible with
> FreeBSD (from what little I can tell, that is).  When FreeBSD boots,
> it gives me the following messages (the ones I found relevant):
>
> fdc0: NEC 72065B
> fd0: 1.44 MB 3.5in
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <NEC CD-ROM
>   DRIVE:28B/3.05>, removable, dma, iordy
> wcd0: 2412/5512Kb/sec, 256Kb cache, audio
>   play, 256 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked
>
> When I try to 'mount /cdrom', it gives me
> the following message:
>   cd9660: cd9660 filesystem not available
>
> Any ideas?  Please respond.

Are you sure you have a CD-ROM in there, and not an audio CD?

> Also, for future reference, can anybody please tell me how to copy
> and paste using X-Windows?  I am tired to copying from the log
> files.  hehe :) Thanks in advance!  Please e-mail me directly.
> Thank you very much!

It depends on the application, but many will allow you to mark text by
moving the mouse cursor to one end of the text, depressing the left
button, moving to the other end of the text, and releasing the
button.  To paste, move to the correct place and depress the middle
button.

Emacs will also cut the region with c-w, copy it with a-c-w, and paste
with c-y.

Greg