Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:39:58 -0400
From:      satellites@inorbit.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recommended Sequence to Set Up Router/Firewall Appliance and Bind DNS Server?

Hello List,

I wonder if someone might be able to point me in the right direction:

I have two interfaces on a New 7.3 FreeBSD Installation that I would like=
 to use on two different subnets.? In other words, I would like the machin=
e to function as a router.? I do have the gateway_enable option present in=
 rc.conf however neither of the two interfaces are presently set up. ? If=
 I am setting up the machine to function as a router, is it bad practice=
 to also set it up as a DNS Server?

I am also working through a couple of books on PF, which I'd like to use=
 with this router appliance.
Being that PF has NAT capabilities and redirection options, is it correct=
 to set up bind first, then the persistent routes in rc.conf, then the fir=
ewall?? Am I confusing the issue??