Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:27:47 -0500
From:      Don Tyson <tyson@stanfordalumni.org>
To:        J Scott Jaderholm <scott@jaderholm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DFE-530TX+ (D-Link Ethernet)

> Hi,
>
> Question: How can I get the DFE-530TX+ card to work with the realtek driver?
>
> I have FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE installed, I compiled my kernel with device
> rl, vr, and ste enabled, because I wasn't sure which of them would
> work with my NIC.
>
> It turns out the rl is the correct driver, but I don't see anything
> about it in my dmesg output.
>
> I do get this message when booting up.
>
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1186, dev=0x1300) at 20.0 irq 10
>
> And I think that's my card but I'm not 100% sure.
>
> I've tried different DFE-530TX+ cards, I have PNP disabled in my bios,
> and I've moved them around to different PCI slots.  Still no luck.
>
> I'm out of ideas and could really use any ideas you guys may have on
> how to fix this or find out what the problem is.

I have that card and have used rl on 4.2 and all of 4.3 through
the latest RC without problems.  Don't know if other cards might
work also.

PnP detects the card on my PII/400 with an Abit BE6 MB.  Is there
some reason not to enable it on your machine?

Do you also have the miibus0 driver enabled?  I believe that's
required with the rl driver.

The relevant lines from my dmesg are:

rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem 0xda000000-0xda0000ff irq 9 at device 11.0 on pci0
rl0: Ethernet address: 00:50:ba:8a:c1:9d
miibus0: <MII bus> on rl0
rlphy0: <RealTek internal media interface> on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

Don