Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:10:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Matt Juszczak <matt@atopia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X not loading in full screen

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Matt Juszczak wrote:

> I've installed Gnome2 and xorg on my laptop, and it wont load in a full
> screen window.  There is about an inch of black border on each side of the
> window.  I've googled and tried possible suggestions (such as changing the
> xorg.conf file, etc.) but still no dice.

Edit the xorg.conf file to match the native resolution of your notebook
screen.  For example, something like this:

Section "Screen"
 	Identifier "Screen0"
 	Device     "Card0"
 	Monitor    "Monitor0"
 	DefaultDepth 24
 	SubSection "Display"
 		Viewport   0 0
 		Depth     24
 		Modes     "1024x768"
 	EndSubSection
EndSection

Make sure you are editing the real xorg.conf file, not just the
sample one created by Xorg -configure in your /root directory.  I keep
xorg.conf in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, but some use /etc/X11.