Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:07:16 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Peter Pentchev" <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: setuid on nethack?

What about in the more general case of games?  Would it be a good idea to set
game files to games:games and 6511?  And what about other types of executables?

When I add ports and stuff to my system, sometimes they are picked up from some
bizarre FTP sites, and in cases where the executables do not have to be trusted,
some guidelines on how better to secure them would be welcome.  I know that
often they are being rebuilt from source before installation, but it isn't
really practical to read through the source for every port just to look for
suspicious code.

Are ports examined by anyone anywhere for security problems before being
included in the FreeBSD list of ports?