Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 11:57:23 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft has a patent on [] (fwd)

> I just got this from another list, but it's so outrageous, I had to post
> it here (it certainly applies to us!)  Apparently, Microsoft has
> patented array indexing!
>
> Take a look, it seems real!

It's real, but it involves taking a character string between separators
(eg. []) and passing it to a run-time evaluator contained in a library.

I can't see this impacting [] in general use, and the date on the
application means that Tcl is probably applicable as "prior art", as
this is how it handles command substitution.

Looks like another bogus software patent to me.