Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 01:02:49 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, j@ida.interface-business.de
Subject:   Re: Verbose babble in if_fddisubr.c

>> How about adding a "sysctl" variable for that purpose ?
>>
>> I'd be opposed to make "bootverbose" take over the meaning
>> "produce more run-time debug messages", since this might
>> affect its current use.

Er, `bootverbose' always had that meaning.  It's a (poorly named)
`verbose' flag that happens to be set at boot time.  The general
`verbose' flag has to be set at boot time so that it applies to
boot messages.

>I'm all for it.
>
>There are already precedences for this abuse, e.g. in the slice code
>(prining of the slice's start and end address in the bootverbose case
>-- even though opening a slice is not necessarily related to booting).

The author of `bootverbose' told me that it was a general flag when I
objected to using it for controlling the slice messages.

Bruce