Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 16:22:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ron Lenk <rlenk@widget.xmission.com>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: getnewbuf

> New kernel from sources supped this morning (0900 pst). See config
> file and hardware list below.
>
> The system will hange without a panic.  The system will not
> respond to keyboard input.  I can switch to a different vty to
> try to login, but the system does not respond with passwd prompt.
> Telneting from a remote host does not work.  iozone may or may not
> write the 32 MB file.   Push reset button to reboot the system.
>
> This miraculously completes without a problem.  Switch to vty 1
> and try it again.
>
> panic:  getnewbuf: inconsistent EMPTY queue, qindex=2

For whatever it's worth, I've seen both the hang conditions, and the
panics as well, although on a somewhat different configuration, this
machine is a Pentium 60, with an Adaptec 2842 VL bus SCSI controller.

I've exchanged mail with David Greenman, and filed a problem report,
kern/938. However, I haven't seen or heard anything that would
indicate that this has been fixed. I can only hope that somebody is
working on it.

Ron

--
Ron Lenk -- rlenk@xmission.com