Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:25:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idea/help w. mirroring

:On 15-Dec-98 Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:>     Hmmm.  At BEST, we do a sort of stacking.  We break the CVS
:>     tree out into a source tree on a read-only partition.  We
:...
:>     When we need to make a local hack, we break the softlink.  When
:>     we update the underlying source, we diff any broken softlinks
:...
:I'm curious -- have you tried amd's "union" filesystem type?  It tries
:to automate what you're doing.  I've played around with it a little
:bit, but haven't attempted to use it on a large scale.
:
:  John Polstra                                               jdp@polstra.com

    No, not for something this critical.  I don't trust "union".

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)