Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:44:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@segfault.kiev.ua>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sin_zero & bind problems

Matt Dillon wrote:
>     Nobody in their right mind uses a struct sockaddr_in or any other
>     struct sock* type of structure without zeroing it first.  I suppose
>     we can document that in the man pages, but we certainly should not go
>     hacking up the kernel code to work around bad programmers.

It is common practice in Linux to ignore those portions in
the connect/bind that aren't applicable.

There is a huge amount of code written for Linux which just
uses auto variables, jamming only the applicable data into
the struct, before passing it.

Arguably, FreeBSD should ignore the data not applicable to
the bind, but this would mean pretending it was zero in the
kernel.

A number of other UNIX implementations also puke in this
Linux-ism, so it's a good idea to require the zeroing.

-- Terry