Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:07:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sdr woes

Hi folks,

Still struggling with using sdr in the mbone section of the ports
collection. After a lot of RFC and doc reading, I did a packet trace
during a quick call between 2 point-to-point hosts. The INVITE packet has
no problems finding the other host, but once found, the host responds with
a 404, or user unknown error. I think I've narrowed the problem down to
not knowing how to send out a REGISTER packet so I can register the user at
that IP address. The docs all talk about it, but I haven't yet figured out
how to send out this mysterious packet.

Any SIP or mbone gurus out there? Since SIP is an application level
protocol, can I just make an entry in /etc/services for port 5060? (I'll
be trying that one tomorrow after some sleep). Any other suggestions? I
just want to set up a call between 2 hosts on a LAN, I don't want to join
the mbone yet.

Any hints appreciated.

Dru