Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 15:54:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, imb@scgt.oz.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2842 and the disappearing file-system :-(

> How are they kludged?  I haven't seen a single report of eisaconf
> without detected devices causing problems in a system.  Furthermore,
> if you don't have a 2842 or and eisa machine, you can disable the
> eisa0 device in your config file.  If you do have a 2842, you'd
> have to read the same bytes of the I/O address space, so it buys
> you nothing to have a separate probe for it.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Why do you have to have a seperate probe?

Why can't you use the same probe routine address in two "driver instances"?

And wouldn't this fix the interrrupt attach problem introduced by the
eisaconf code in the VLB Adaptec case?

You keep saying you need to duplicate cade -- I don't see it.  I see
that there is a need to duplicate ~32 bytes of data structure to get
an EISA and non-EISA device instance.  Tell me why Im wrong...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---