Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:26:15 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <cal@rushe.aero.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <cal@rushe.aero.org>
Subject:   Re: dmesg codes, <unknown card>, vendor codes

> occasionally (that is, on some machines), i get some <unknown card>
messages,
> with a vendor number - where can i find a list of such codes (is there a
web
> site or something? looking for "vendor" and "code" and related terms does
not
> work very well), and other information that will let me interpret what
dmesg
> does not?

I don't know of a site hat has that information, but perhaps if you post a
message
here with the exact messages, then some enterprising soul ay be able to
figure out
what the devices are and why FreeBSD isn't properly detecting them.

> i think this will help me adjust each of my kernel configurations properly
for
> sound (the rest seems to be working pretty well), since there are 4
different
> machines with 4 different hardware configurations, and 6 different kernel
> configurations to consider (the laptops each have two hard disks)

I doubt that you would have to modify your kernel configurations.  If
FreeBSD
isn't properly identifying some device, then nothing you could add or modify
in
your kernel configuration would magically make FreeBSD recognize the device.
Most likely someone will have to update the FreeBSD code to recognize such
devices.

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services