Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 19:24:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      torstenb@ramsey.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Did he ever try to hire someone to fix this particular problem?

I already answered that yesterday.

> Seriously, this is not about me adding gratuitous features just for
> the fun of calling down the email equivalent of lightning on my head -
> I don't need that any more than the next guy - I'm simply trying to
> implement what I feel is the far greater and more important strategy
> of getting commercial software vendors to play ball with us, and by
> doing so I've both accomodated CDE and sent the strong message to
> other ISVs that we're willing to make concensions when necessary.  Am
> I truly the only one to see the importance of this? ;-)

No, you're not the only one. When Thomas first told me about CDE for
FreeBSD I offered to test it.
I prefer my custom made "desktop", but I also see that we need CDE
because many people out there just want to use the machine. CDE
is available for several platforms and that makes things sometimes much
easier.

Beside the technical problems, I have to say that XiG had enough time to
fix it. As I wrote yesterday, I told Thomas that dtmail's behaviour is
broken - in October 1996.
Even if XiG had not the resources to fix it (and I believe that's true),
they could hire a consultant to do that. They did not, and the question
is why...

I'm more than happy to "support" commercial software vendors, as long as
they take it serious. Ignoring problems for more than 6 months is not
what I call "serious interest".

 -tb