Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:05:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Fuhrman <cfuhrman@tfcci.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Source (fwd)

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 scanner@jurai.net wrote:

> 	They did once already. It was called XENIX.
> If they still have it, they could dust it off, slap in a linux kernel and
> call it MS linux.

This got me doing some research on the subject of XENIX.  Microsoft
purchased a stake in SCO sometime in the early 80's which lead to the
development and release of XENIX.  In '87, Microsoft was concerned that
AT&T's UNIX wouldn't be able to run XENIX app's so they entered into a
licensing agreement with AT&T to include some XENIX code in the AT&T
base.  AT&T sold it's UNIX technology to Novell in '93 who then sold it to
SCO in '95.  Recently, Microsoft sold it's shares in SCO after which SCO's
shares collapsed.

Some interesting tidbits:  SCO asked M$ to drop the agreement since the
XENIX code wasn't relavant.  M$ refused and as a consequence, SCO paid M$
about $1.138 million in royalties (ouch) in FY 1998.

Confusing, no? ;)