Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:14:39 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, David Kramer wrote:

> I thought ports and packages were two different things.  But if packages
> can me managed as explained above, and ports can be managed as explained
> below, then my concerns are covered.

Nope. A package is a pre-compiled port so you don't need to compile it
in every machine you want install it. you compile it in one host, then
'make package' and you move the package to the other hosts and pkg_add
it there.

You can even install the app via ports and then pkg_delete it later, or
pkg_add it and 'make deinstall' it.

> > delete an installed port by going to /usr/ports/*category*/*app*/,
> > then make deinstall.
>
> THANK YOU!!!!  This was another thread on the BLU mailing list recently.
> I said that if Makefiles had a "make uninstall" to undo "make install", I
> would be much more likely to use them than RPM's, as I am opposed to
> management tools that track their information in databases that
> require a special application to view and change, instead of text files,
> which can be managed any way one wants.
>
> Do most ports have a "make deinstall" option?

No. all of them have it =0). Take a look at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

			Fer