Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:32:48 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jeff Aitken <jaitken@aitken.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sudo (was Re: Kerberos vs SSH)

At 6:20 PM -0500 3/25/99, Jeff Aitken wrote:
> Out of curiosity, to what programs do you typically grant people
> sudo access?  Is it not true that most "useful" programs a sysadmin
> might need to do his job contain some way of exec'ing another
> program?  For example, you can't use sudo to grant access to a text
> editor of any sort without implicitly giving full root access.

Anyone allowing 'sudo vi' deserves what they get, the same way
that anyone pasting their root password on their monitor
deserves what they get.  Why do we bother with passwords at
all, if there are people who do stupid things with passwords?

We give sudo access to something like 'lpc', for starting or
stopping printer queues.  Or we have special reboot scripts
(yes, scripts).  We'll trust people to do reboots as they feel
necessary (particularly since sudo will log the action), but
not give out root access to a few dozen part-time students who
work in our help desk.  Similar we have programs to fix one
odd problem or another (such as "restarting portmap", which
is a recent problem on our AIX boxes), and those part-time
students might be allowed to do that.

We admin some unix machines that we do not own.  We give the
owner (and maybe their grad students) access to a few things
they need access to, and rightfully deserve access too, without
having to worry about them "fixing" some problem in a way that
breaks some of our automatic procedures.  And we can do this
without having to keep track of hundreds of different passwords
for root (on different unix machines).

And even when it's someone we trust, like, say, *ME*, there
is an advantage to using sudo.  an 'rm *' in the wrong window
(such as a 'su'-ed window) aren't quite as catastrophic.  Yes,
a 'sudo rm *' can be bad news, but I am not likely to type
sudo unless I'm really sure I need special privs for something.
It also means we have a log of priv commands done, useful when
something goes haywire and you think 'uh, what just happened?'.
(remember, we're in an environment with multiple sysadmins,
since we are dealing with a few hundred unix workstations
running solaris, aix, or irix).

In some environments sudo may seem pointless, but in other
situations it can be quite helpful.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute