Date:      08 Jul 1998 16:33:58 +0200
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jkoshy@hub.freebsd.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dependencies when doing a make install ...

Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> Take a port with a LIB_DEPENDS dependency (eg:- xaos, which depends on `png').
>
>   $ lcvs co xaos
>   $ cd xaos; make ... [snip] ...
>
>   # make install
>   ... [snip] ...
>   ===>  Registering installation for xaos-3.0
>   Warning: "/usr/ports/graphics/png" non-existent -- @pkgdep registration incomplete
>
> I do have the `png' package installed:
>
>   # pkg_info -aI | grep png
>   png-1.0.1           Library for manipulating PNG images.
>
> And sure enough, the files in /var/db/pkg/png/ don't get updated correctly
> to record the dependency of `xaos' on the PNG library.
>
> Note: bsd.port.mk on -stable post 2.2.6
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes and no. The dependency registration works somewhat different in
pkg_add/pkg_delete and bsd.ports.mk.

bsd.ports.mk builds a list of dependencies (and dependencies'
dependencies (and dep... ;-) )) from the ports' makefiles (second part
of the *_DEPENDS line); check the package-depends target for
that. It assumes a complete ports tree to _generate_ the @pkgdep lines
for a package.

pkg_add just uses those lines to add the dependencies into
/var/db/pkg/.../+REQUIRED_BY, so it gets by without a ports tree.

This is actually a missing feature in our ports. They don't have an
understanding of an upgrade path, or a check which versions of a port
work with specific versions of a dependent port. Currently, we don't
have the ability to say ``xaos-3.0 works with png-1.0.0, png-1.0.1,
png-1.1.0 and png-2.0.0'', and then use what's already there instead
of looking for the latest and greatest.

tg