Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:05:28 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: printing from windows xp to lpd without samba

# Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net / 2002-10-25 10:07:32 -0700:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> >     i'm running lpd with -clW switches (windows lpr sends from ports
> >     >1024), and printing from my FreeBSD desktop works just fine:
> >
> >     Oct 25 11:56:12 ishtar lpd[7336]: freepuppy.bellavista.cz requests recvjob lp
> >     Oct 25 11:56:15 ishtar lpd[7339]: freepuppy.bellavista.cz requests displayq short lp
> >
> >     but from windows boxes:
> >
> >     Oct 25 11:56:57 ishtar lpd[7341]: martin.bellavista.cz requests recvjob lp
> >     Oct 25 11:56:57 ishtar lpd[7341]: Error receiving job from martin.bellavista.cz:
> >     Oct 25 11:56:57 ishtar lpd[7341]: lp: lost connection
> >
> >     roman@ishtar ~ 1001:0 > lpq
> >     Warning: no daemon present
> >     Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
> >     1st    tkadlec    5    Test Page                             0 bytes
>
> I don't know.  It looks to me as if there may be a permissions problem on
> ishtar.  The Windows machine (martin) *does* try to submit a job, so the
> installation worked ok, and lpd acknowledges the transmission.  However,
> then you get a job error and the file is created with zero bytes - hmm,
> that *doesn't* sound like permssions, actually, you'd expect no spool file
> to be created at all.  "lp" *is* the actual name of the spool you're
> trying to access, right?

    yes. i can print from any windows host that is in
    ishtar:/etc/hosts.lpd using "lpr -S ishtar -P lp <file>".

    trying to print the test page on the very same printer "added" to
    the very same windows box fails.

> My experience with LPR printing from Windows machines is entirely with
> embedded or standalone print servers, rather than through a Unix host, so
> I've probably reached the end of my usefulness.

    you helped me a lot already.

> >     all I get is the "lp: lost connection" line in the logfile.
> >     so, what am I doing wrong?
>
> I'd throw a protocol analyzer (tcpdump would do) on there and see what
> the conversation looks like, but that's just me as a network guy.

    will do.

    thanks!

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely
ignore your message.