Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:31:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bogdan Roszkowski <Bogdan.Roszkowski@adelaide.on.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd and the ncr53810 pci scsi controller... does it work???

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Bogdan Roszkowski wrote:

> hi all...
>
> i'm having a problem with my ncr53810 scsi host and i'm not sure it its
> a bug or if i'm doing something wrong???
>
> i have a dell omniplex 590 which has the ncr810 host built-in on the
> motherboard and there is only 1 scsi device attached to it (a hard
> disk)... all is terminated properly and works 100% under windows nt...

Looking at the messages below, are you POSITIVE?  There should be a
terminator just after the hard disk, powered externally and not from the
SCSI bus.  The NCRs are actively terminated(?) and shouldn't require
anything further on that end.

Also be sure your cable is secure and that it's not damaged in some way.

Lastly, make sure the hard disk is well cooled.  If it's a 7200RPM drive,
they get *HOT* and you need direct cooling or it or it'll fail.