Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:34:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        hamellr@heorot.1nova.com, bphlipot@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD for my IBOOK

Rick Hamell wrote:

> > Hello, Im trying to locate "BSD" for my Ibook apple notebook. I'm
> > running Macs OS 10.1 and want to install the BSD on my machine. My
> > hopes then are to run Sun's Star Office 5.2 on my apple laptop. Can
> > you send me a link or information on where and how to accomplish this
> > task? Thanks a million.
>
>         Well Brad.. I have good new and bad news... The Good news... if
> you're running Mac OS 10.1 (OSX) You're already running BSD! The bad
> news... Star Office dosen't run on Mac OS X (yet.) If you want though... I
> believe Netbsd runs on Imacs. :)
>
>         Rick

Hi Brad,

the next idea is to use Darwin. Darwin is the Mach kernel plus some *BSD
framework (derived from FreeBSD 3.4) with an NetBSD userland. And it is open
source. Take a look at

www.darwin.org

At the moment Darwin is available for PowerPC ala Apple and x86.

Darwin is the core of Mac OS X without all the nice graphic stuff. But you can
run X windows on top of it.

Have fun

Marc