Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:16:23 -0700
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.Org
Cc:        ISP@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Server recommendation for co-location.

I need to co-locate a server in Singapore so reliability is
important:-).  I am thinking of something with a ServerWorks
LE-based board, multiprocessor, but with one P-III Xeon to
start, running at from 700 Mhz to 1,000 Mhz, 2Gb initial ram,
an extremely well ventilated box with multiple, hot swap,
power supplies 500-750 watts, each.  I would like to have a
Raid 10 array with from .5 TB to 1 TB initially.
I find the 3ware escalade 64 bit, switched, 7000 series to be a a
very compelling solution but I remember seeing a thread not long
ago about it having pretty serious problems in one installation,
but I've also heard some very good things about it.  Does anyone
know of a solid raid 10 SCSI solution for FreeBSD?

All suggestions appreciated especially about 3ware, motherboard,
drives, etc.  If I remember the drives that were having problems
in the 3ware thread were IBM, so they are out.  I was thinking
about maxtor, I've used several (7500 rpm) for a couple
of years with no problems.

Now for the hard part, our finance guy wants to lease the equipment
and would prefer to buy from a supplier rather than build it in house.:-(
He obviously suggested, IBM, Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. etc. all of which
have more trade-offs than I would like to make.  Does anyone know of a real
company that [could|would|does] build[s] something similar?

Thanks,

ed

---