Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:02:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        Kurt Bauer <bauer@cc.univie.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Kurt Bauer wrote:
%
% Hello,
%
% I installed Netscape (various versions), but I was not able to start it,
% instead of a running WWW-Browswer I got the message " Unable to locate
% /usr/libexec/ld.so. ". Can anyone helpme ??? Thanx in advance,
%
% Kurt
%

This will fix it.

Go into the first installation cd:

A typical FreeBSD distribution directory looks something like this:

ABOUT.TXT       bin             dict            manpages        tools
HARDWARE.TXT    compat1x        des             doc             packages
INSTALL.TXT     compat20        floppies        ports
README.TXT      compat21        games           proflibs
RELNOTES.TXT    compat22        info            src
LAYOUT.TXT      XF86333

Within the compat22 directory run the install shell script which will
install the necessary ld.so in /usr/libexec.

This is what the problem is:

4. The compat1x, compat20, compat21 and compat22 directories contain
   distributions for compatibility with older releases and are distributed
   as single gzip'd tar files - they can be installed during release time
   or later by running their `install.sh' scripts.  Those wishing to
   run older (2.2.x) a.out dynamically linked executables should always
   install the compat22 distribution.