Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:22:48 -0800
From:      "Graham North" <graham.north@telus.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Rob" <robert@irrelevant.com>
Subject:   Re: FTP difficulties 4.8R

Hi Rob:

Thank you for this help.  Thanks also to all others who replied this
evening.
I just came home and it is late so I will pursue all suggestions tomorrow
evening.

My gut sense is that it is the nic setup - at first I thought it might be my
router (and maybe it is part of the problem but I have operated 3 different
machines through it and networked them in the past so am starting to get
pretty comfortable with it).  But tomorrow I will start by checking my
cabling carefully - though the same machine if booted into Win98 works
flawlessly so I doubt that the problem is cabling or flaky nic.  The nic is
a 3com 3509 which seems to be well supported.
Auto negotiation - that sounds plausible - esp. since sometimes files do get
through but painfully slowly.  Lowering the MTU setting shouldn't hurt...?

To all - thanks again, I will respond further after playing tomorrow.
Cheers,  Graham/