Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:53:14 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: access() system call

Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 09:34:34AM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> > In the man page for the access(2) syscall, it states "access() is a
> > potential security hole and should never be used."
> >
> > I have 3 questions regarding this:
> >
> > 1. What should I use instead?
>
> stat(2). It's in the SEE ALSO section of the man-page.

I could use stat(2), but it would require multiple lines of code to
resolve the coding problem I need to do, whereas access(2) could handle
the job in a single line. It's ridiculous, all I want to know is whether
the current user has read access to a filesystem object, once user,
group and world perms are all taking into account.
If that's what I have to do, fine. But I was hoping for a more "drop-in"
replacement for access(2).

Thanks for the feedback.

-Bill