Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:42:34 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        K H Tan <netline@pop.jaring.my>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Re-partioning hard disk

On Friday, 25 August 2000 at 13:37:27 +0800, K H Tan wrote:
> Thank you for your quick reply.
>
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> There are ways, but it might be easier just to reinstall.
>
> Reinstall would take too long.

As I said, there are ways.  But they could take even longer.

> I have 7 servers and the time it took to newfs a 72GB h/d on one
> machine is about an hour. Besides, I have already configure DNS etc
> etc,

That's OK, you don't need to replace that.

> What are the other options, I would like to hear them. Is there a
> Partition Magic equivalent for FreeBSD?

There's nothing which changes partition sizes except disklabel.

> Incidently, is there a defrag tool for FreeBSD?

No, it's seldom needed.

>>> How do I go about making the NICs redundant - in case one fails, the
>>> other takes over?
>>
>> We don't have any mechanism for that at the moment.
>
>  So, I can't have two NICs on a same IP address for load balancing?

No.

> To add in an extra card, we have to edit rc.conf right?

Well, that's part of it.  The real answer is that you use ifconfig(8).

> Do I have to rebuild the kernel?

That depends on the cards you're using.  Normally you don't need to.

> How about if I want the second card on standby but not activated?

That's OK.

> Can I have the same IP as the one that's activated?

If it's not activated, it doesn't have an IP address.  I suppose you
could put it there with an IP address, then stop it, but I don't see
any advantage to that.  In any case, Ethernet card failures are pretty
rare.  You'd be a lot better off thinking about disk failures.

Greg