Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 23:28:35 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu
Subject:   Re: MMAP Troubles (Joerg?)

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:

> > Anyway, I have a big beefy pentium pro system here for use as news
> > that im going to roll out in a few weeks.  INN w/ MMAP causes the
> > NULL trashed active file, interested in working on the problem with
> > a system at your beck and call?
>
> IIRC, the last word on INN w/ mmap() was that INN uses mmap() against
> the specs in that it tries to shorten (or extend) the file while it's
> being mmap()'ed.  This only incidentally works on SysV's.

Slightly older news (but I suspect still current) was that INN is
faster on FreeBSD _without_ mmap, due to caching etc.  Remember that
you will want to mount your spool disks async and noatime too.  Search
for anything that Joe Greco has posted about news machines; he appears
to know his stuff pretty well.

> All this is hearsay, so maybe John or somebody else will tell you more
> exactly.

There was a thread on this a while back; my recollection matches yours.