Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:35:22 -0400
From:      "Ilya" <maillist@krel.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   lpt problems

Hi. I am trying to connect an LPT Iomega DittoMax to my Freebsd 4.1s box.
I have the following settings in my kernel config file:
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          vpo
device          scbus                   #base SCSI code
device          da                      #SCSI direct access devices (aka
disks)

as per http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/zip-drive/x40.html

but when my kernel loades, dmegs |grep vpo doesnt return any results.
Neither does lpt, nor can i find anything related to irq 7 in messages.
During the post-bios phase i can see the bios detects LPT port (which is
setup in bios to be on irq 7 io387), so i believe there is nothing wrong
with my lpt on hardware level.
Can someone point to the right direction on what i am missing for lpt to
work correctly?

Also i noticed that during boot i have a bunch of these messages:
No such device: sn0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di lnc0
No such device: lnc0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di le0
No such device: le0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di ie0
No such device: ie0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di fe0
No such device: fe0

which i traced to /boot/kern.conf , which has thes contest:
di pcic0
di ppc0
di sn0
di lnc0
di le0
di ie0
di fe0
di cs0
di bt0
di aic0
di aha0
di adv0

i dont know what its doign there, but i belive its a default file (since i
didnt create it). I didnt find anything about kern.conf on Freebsd site, or
anything regarding di. can someone give me a hint on whats going on there?

thx a lot for your help.