Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 00:47:35 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

On 5 Apr 2002, at 0:21, Kris Kennaway boldly uttered:

> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 11:59:15PM -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, there are other ways to accomplish spam filtering,
> > some of which (IMHO) are less likely to cause blocking to non-spam
> > messages.
>
> Our postmaster has been battling spam for years..you can be sure he's
> tried and considered all possibilities by now.

Well none of this would have been obvious based on the responses I
was given.

> > A little curt I'd say, and not particularly chock full of helpful
> > information.
>
> Perhaps you should consider that he probably gets quite a lot of email
> about this topic, and after the n'th time of explaining the situation
> (a lot of times to people who are probably quite self-rightenous and
> insistent on their own points of view) it starts getting pretty
> monotonous.

OK - I certainly understand the 'workload' issues.  But then again:

- if the system in use was causing less collateral damage, it seems
  rather obvious that the postmaster will get less upset and
  belligerent users complaining

- if they really are answering the same questions over-and-over, the
  obvious solution would be a boilerplate document or a webpage to
  point people to answer their "FAQs".

- Despite Greg's assertions that the freebsd people are "all ears"
  to suggestions, the only freebsd 'employees' so far that I have
  corresponded with on this issue have been deeply defensive and
  actually to the point of mocking me for bringing up the issue.

Acting aggravating due to overwork is one thing - trying to claim
it's because I'm just "bitching" for questioning their filtering
policy is quite another.

It actually took me by surprise because based on the tone of the
threads previously about keeping the list "open to anyone without
needing to subscribe", I thought I was dealing with some good 'ol
"information wants to be free" types here, not the kinds of anti-spam
zealots with the take-no-prisoner attitude who seem to be
proliferating so much these days.  So I honestly expected people to
be more open to other ideas than they appear to be.  I can't even get
people to give me any kind of detail on exactly what the scope of
their measures are.

(tried looking in the archives for a discussion of these measures
before they were put in place, but couldn't find anything)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium