Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2015 17:16:25 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, web@umich.edu
Subject:   Re: why does www/gecko-mediaplayer build devel/dbus and devel/dbus-glib ?

On 02/01/15 12:58, William Bulley wrote:
> I don't use dbus (in fact I have #dbus_enable="YES" in my /etc/rc.conf
> file), yet whenever I build www/gecko-mediaplayer or multimedia/gnome-mplayer
> devel/dbus and devel/dbus-glib are built as by-products.  Do these dbus
> things do anything for me, or are they just hold-overs from Linux-land?

If you want to disable dbus use when *building* a port, you have to modify
the build-time configuration options, eg
  cd /usr/ports/www/gecko-mediaplayer
  make config
If you aren't seeing the config options when you go to build the port, it's
because you have already built the port once and the options are saved.
Doing "make config" allows you to change them.  You can also reset them.

However, gecko-mediaplayer does not have an option to disable use of dbus;
it only has the options CACHE (on by default) and DOCS (on by default).
You can see the options available using
  make showconfig

Depending on what you are running, you may be using dbus unknowingly;
it is a normal default for some subsystems.  It may be that a mediaplayer
dependency requires it by default.  Try:
  pkg info | grep dbus
to see which version of dbus is installed, and then
  pkg info -r dbus_1.8.12_1 (or whatever it was)
to see which other packages require it.

You may be able to disable dbus when building one of those.

You can drill down from mediaplayer by doing
  pkg info -d whatever-pkg-name-is
to see its dependencies.

Gary