Date:      26 Jan 2001 10:45:05 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        Gernot Hueber <hueber@riic.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtual domains traffic accouting

Gernot Hueber <hueber@riic.at> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I want to gather traffic accounting informations of incoming and
> outgoing traffic based on the virtual domains (apache, sendmail, ftp).
> AFAIK trafd, mrtg, etc work on ip/port basis which is the same for all
> domains.
>
> Is there a solution for this task?

While not an ideal solution, I am currently doing the following :

I have mrtg running and graphing traffic on the ports on the
switch. Apache generates logs which I run through analog. This gives
me a total amount of data transfered per virtual host. I add the
traffic for all of the sites up, and then work out each virtualhosts
traffic as a percentage of the total. This is then worked out as a
percentage of the total traffic as reported by mrtg.

It's not ideal because it doesn't take into account shell sessions
used to maintain the box, but it's pretty close.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk