Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:00:01 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD low power hacks

Michael Nottebrock writes:
> The following is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message
> created by Enigmail/Mozilla, following RFC 2440 and RFC 2015
> --------------enig8A086DA17DCB77CC40984CC4
>
> I've been wondering lately why my AthlonTB runs at a quite high
> idle-temperature and I came across this page:
>
> http://vcool.occludo.net/VC_Theory.html
>
> Does someone feel like getting something similar into our kernel?

If you have a VIA KT266A chipset then you can do something like this:

# turn on HALT bit in register 0x95 of the KT266a -> CPU runs much cooler
# NOTE: the register had 0x1c when I checked it
echo Enable halt bit in KT266A
/usr/sbin/pciconf -w -b pci0:0:0 0x95 0x1e

which I have in /etc/rc.local. My Athlon runs about 15 C cooler with
this. Bit 1 of register 0x95 controls idling of the CPU.

Here's a step-by-step description:

Do the following as root:
1) pciconf -l -v
this lists all the PCI chipsets found at boot time. I see

agp0@pci0:0:0:  class=0x060000 card=0x30991106 chip=0x30991106 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT8366/A Apollo KT266/A,KT333 CPU to PCI Bridge'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = HOST-PCI

So I have a KT266(A) at pci0:0:0

2) pciconf -r -b pci0:0:0 0x95