Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:40:43 -0500
From:      Ken Wills <kenwills@tds.net>
To:        Lenderman22@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help!

+++ Lenderman22@aol.com [26/06/02 02:43 -0400]:

>    Hello,
>    I am trying to install FreeBSD over the internet onto a pc and need
>    some basic information of how to discover my own IP address, my ISPs
>    IP address and their DNS . I understand I will need this before
>    beginning my installation. As well, I do also need to know the "At
>    commands" spoken of so that I may dial into the mirror site to begin
>    this whole process. Hope you can help.
>    Many thanks.
>    Mark

Hi Mark,

You should be able to get your isp's DNS ip from any current dialup session, or from nslookup.
If your using a windows pc now, dial in and try winipcfg (win95/98/me) or ipconfig (NT/2000/XP).

You probably don't want to set an ip for your side, or for you isp, most of those are assigned
automatically when you dial in.

The AT command set is a control mechanism for your modem - during installation, the defaults should
be fine unless you've got very non-standard hardware (a really weird modem).

Ken