Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:00:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "ALeine" <aleine@austrosearch.net>
To:        tbyte@OTEL.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: organization

tbyte@OTEL.net wrote:

>    And the worts of all is that You are both right to some extent. The
> new developers want the source tree arranged in the way mohamed says it
> should be. Not some device drivers live in pci/ other in dev/ and things
> like that. And on the other hand experienced kernel hackers who want
> things to stay as they are so it is easy for them to navigate in know
> waters. IMHO mohamed is a bit "more" right.

If you are really dedicated to studying the kernel sources at that level
issues such as learning the layout are really nonissues, the time a new
developer initially spends hunting around for files because they are not
familiar with the layout is insignificant compared to the time
experienced developers would lose as a result of a new layout being
introduced, especially during a critical development stage. Once all the
major changes are finished and we move to micro optimization a new, more
consistent and logical layout would be an option, but until then, IMHO,
things should stay the way they are.

Also, the benefit of such a reorganization at this time does not justify
the work needed to make it happen. It Would Be Nice (TM), but it's not
practical.

ALeine
WebMail FREE http://mail.austrosearch.net