Date:      Sat, 7 May 2005 16:03:32 -0400
From:      Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD@InsightBB.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   using groff macros

I'm experimenting with groff macros and I've placed '.B some text' into a
file.  I don't know what command line options to get groff to spit it out as
bold text.

I've tried groff -man -T ascii filename | more

but it just swallows the text.  I've read many man pages but I'm not getting a
thread to follow.

About ten years ago I used nroff on a Gould UTX-32 (Unix) system, but I can't
remember much. I believe I simply used 'nroff -man filename'.

What I'm actually trying to do is create fortunes with bold, italic, and
underlined words.  I redirected man pages into a file and discovered that S
backspace S will produce a bold S, and _ backspace S will produce S in
reverse video.  I added sequences like this to my fortune file, but then it's
a bear to read. So I was hoping to use something from the roff family and
their macros.

--
i386 FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE
There are 10 types of people in this world. Ones that understand binary and