Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 00:15:27 -0400
From:      Trevor S.Cornpropst <tcornpropst@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Links (was: Is simplicity despised? WAS:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:16:34 +0930

To address the original question, I believe it is a matter of efficiency. Multiple
'copies of files' share the same inode. This implies they are using the same
disk blocks. Fewer consumed disk blocks results in less file system consumption.

The utilities that are hard linked are usually the same programs. Their execution
is determined by the name from which they are called.

This keeps the root file system smaller and makes management simpler.

OTOH, this explains why I describe Linux as a train wreck. There is crap scattered all
over the place ;-)

Trevor