Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:43:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Oliver Friedrichs <oliver@secnet.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security advisory

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >Just out of curiosity, why is disabling source-routing entirely
> >suggested?  Usually filtering out packets with source addresses
> >in your network is sufficient, and source routing is useful for
> >diagnostics and it's annoying when it's arbitrarily disabled.
>
>    I think the main reason is that it allows someone to pretend to be on
> a specific network when he really isn't. Any security that makes this
> assumption is going to be broken by this.

Correct, just a note about the advisory.. it was accidentally posted to
freebsd-bugs while only being a draft.  Some changes have been made and
the real one will be posted in a day or so after some pointers to fixes
and patches for some commercial operating systems.  I would appreciate if
nobody reposted it.

Thanks, ;)

- Oliver