Date:      31 Jul 1998 10:37:33 -0400
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dev links won't open.  Why?

"Greg" == Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

>>> Well, it doesn't solve whatever the problem might be, but why not
>>> use a hard link?
>>  'cause it fails the same way?

> That seems unlikely.  In the case of a device node, a hard link is
> effectively a copy.  But if that doesn't work, you can always
> recreate the node.

Well, I provided the code, you can try it yourself :-)

The problem, as it was explained to me, is that cam_open_device looks
at the path as a string, and parses that string into 'pass' and a
number.  Any path that does not match that string will fail.

To make life more quixotic, I just tried renamed /dev/pass3 to
/dev/scanner: the results of the test did not change: it opened (the
non-existant!) /dev/pass3, and failed on /dev/scanner!

Anyway, Justin has suggested that since I am the one complaining, I
should fix it.  So I will be looking into in it...

+C
--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;