Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:24:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        Christopher J Ceska <cceska@iagnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding new user....

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Christopher J Ceska wrote:

>I am new to FreeBSD so call me crazy.....
>
>I am trying to add a user that can SU to root like on a linux or solaris
>machine.
>
>I understand the user has to be in the wheel group but what else am I
>doing wrong.  It always tells me I am not in a group that can su to root.
>
>I am using DES.  What do I have to do?  (Besides buy a book)  I am just
>evaluating this OS and I can't even make a user.... haha

You must but the persons login on the wheel line in /etc/group
for instance mine reads:
wheel:*:0:root,crb
make sure you use a comma seperator and no spaces.  I believe
the default group from /etc/passwd is ignored.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
<A HREF="http://www.ChrisBowman.com">My home page</A>