Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:23:41 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/net/sirc

Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * The problem with this is that any port on a -Stable system that makes
>  * use of the PERL5 variable (like you tried to do with mine) will have to
>  * be reinstalled every time the perl version is bumped.
>
> You're right.  I shouldn't have changed yours, since yours just uses
> perl as an interpreter and doesn't install anything to
> version-specific directories.

	No problem. I was kind of waiting for the dust to settle on how to
handle perl5 before I submitted a fix so you would only have to change
it once, but now's as good a time as any. :)

>  *                                                       I'd like to have a
>  * variable similar to what I used in my port that points to the 'perl5'
>  * link in either /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin (Ok, ${PREFIX}/bin). Something
>  * like this would work, other solutions are possible of course.
>
> Hmm.  I don't think it is necessary to have it in bsd.port.mk given
> the nature of the problem (it doesn't apply to most ports).  If
> someone can prove me wrong, I can put it in, of course.

	Ok, no problem. I am working on providing solutions along with problem
more often. Whether my solutions (or my problems :) make sense to anyone
else is another matter entirely. *Grin*

>  *      Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if someone would apply the following patch
>  * to my port. It passes portlint, etc.
>
>  * -post-extract:       <====
>  * +pre-extract:        <====
>
>  * +post-extract:       <====
>  * +.if exists(/usr/bin/perl5)
>  * +SHORT_PERL5=/usr/bin/perl5
>  * +.else
>  * +SHORT_PERL5=${PREFIX}/bin/perl5
>  * +.endif
>  * +
>
> You don't need to do this (the lines marked with "<====").  Make
> variable assignments are not part of the target.

	Ok, thanks for the tip. I tried it a few different ways, but I think it
was the spacing that gummed me up when I tried it the first time. Make
still gives me a headache, but it's less severe than it used to be. :)

> I changed that part and committed it.  Thanks!

	Thank you for putting in the fix.

Doug